This manual covers hardware connection, software installation and settings of Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence for J/K/E/T type (UNGROUNDED) thermocouples.
- Connection options
- Cropster Connector installation
- Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Please read this installation and configuration guide carefully, as any mishandling could lead to permanent device damage.
By connecting a Cropster Connector or temperature probe to any computer or by installing Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence (RI) software, the user agrees to release Cropster from any liability and assumes any possible risk related to the use of this measuring device and/or software. Cropster's terms of service apply.
- Ungrounded digital thermocouples type K, J, T or E
Learn how to identify your thermocouple type.
- Cropster Connector (Phidget 1048)
- Splicing wire (ad-hoc)
Depending on the type of your roaster and thermocouples, there are three connection options:
A direct connection applies when adding new probes independently from the roaster's readout. The newly added probe can be connected directly to the Cropster Connector.
Proceed with the Cropster Connector installation.
A dual connection applies when the roaster is equipped with a dual probe. A dual probe is a probe with two sensors inside the hull and two pairs of wires that allow a simultaneous connection to Cropster and the roaster's readout.Proceed with the Cropster Connector installation.
If none of the above is applicable, the temperature signal can be spliced from the probe into Cropster, by the help of an extension wire.
Cropster explicitly does not recommend hardware connection via splicing. Your Cropster support person will gladly recommend you different connection options for your machine.
Learn how to establish a splicing connection.
Cropster Connector installation
Disconnect the USB cable from the Cropster Connector and turn off your roast machine during the hardware installation.
- Follow the probe cable from the tip of the probe to its end where the two wires appear.
In case of dual probes, take the free end that is not connected to the roast machine.
- Connect the two wires to any port of the Cropster Connector (e.g. 0/G, 1/G, 2/G, 3/G) with the provided screw-driver, as shown in the table below.
- Connect the Cropster Connector via the provided USB cable and proceed with the Roasting Intelligence Setup.
Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Installing the Roasting Intelligence (RI) software
- Download the Roasting Intelligence from https://download.cropster.com/
- The Cropster installer leads you through all the installation steps.
- Download the Phidget driver.
- Open the RI by double-clicking the Cropster icon on the desktop.
- Enter your username and password.
The username is the email address your Cropster invitation has been sent to and use the password you've generated when accepting the invitation.
- Check the Remember credentials box if you want to be able to run the RI offline.
- Click the Login button.
Establishing a connection to the machine
- Go to Account > Preferences > Machine tab.
- Select the Roast machine you would like to connect from the Machine drop-down menu.
- Select Temperature sensor (Ungrounded K/J/E/T-type thermocouples) from the drop-down menu for all measurements connected to the Cropster Connector.
- Select the Channel.
The channel refers to the ports on the Cropster Connector. If the probe wires are connected to port 1/G, select 1 under channel.
- Select the Type of thermocouple.
Learn to identify the probe type.
- (optional) Click the toggle button to turn on (or off) the Rate of Rise (RoR) curve for your measurements.
Learn how to set the RoR within the RI.
- Click Save to confirm the changes. The RI requires a restart to apply the settings.
If the setup was successful you will be able to see temperature values on the right-hand side of the RI screen, after the restart.
Learn to customize your RI user preferences.
If the RI indicates No source connected and/or you cannot see any measurements, please check the following:
- Is the Cropster Connector connected to the computer?
- Is the Phidgets driver installed?
- Mac only: has the Phidgets driver been enabled in the Mac's Security & Privacy settings?
If Roasting Intelligence shows negative temperature readings you will have to swap the wires on the board from “G” to “0” (or 1, 2, 3) and the other way round.
For further assistance, please create a support ticket by clicking the Support button in the left lower corner of the app. A Cropster support rep will get in touch with you.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Cropster Roasting Intelligence!
Check out our Getting started video and enjoy tracking your first roasts!
More manuals and videos can be found on help.cropster.com