This manual explains how to connect your roast machine to the Cropster Connector by establishing a splicing connection to your J/K/T/E type thermocouples.
- Legal Note
- Hardware Installation
- Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Please read this installation and configuration guide carefully as any mishandling could lead to permanent device damage.
Cropster explicitly does not recommend the hardware connection process outlined in this manual on roast machines with a software assisted profile and machine control system. Your Cropster support person will gladly recommend you different connection options for such machines.
By connecting a Cropster Connector or temperature probe to any computer or by installing Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence (RI) software, the user agrees to release Cropster from any liability and assumes any possible risk related to the use of this measuring device and/or software. Cropster's terms of service apply.
- Ungrounded digital thermocouples type K, J, T or E
Learn how to identify your thermocouple type.
- Cropster Connector (=Phidget 1048)
- Splicing wire
Disconnect the USB cable from the Cropster Connector and turn off your roast machine during the hardware installation.
Splicing wire installation
WARNING: The following instructions only apply to models where one can unwire and wire the thermocouples without breaking connectors or other machine parts.
- Follow the probe cable from the tip of the probe to its end where the two wires lead into the roaster's control board or the backside of the temperature display.
- Take out the temperature probe wires from where they are connected. Remember their position.
HINT: Take a picture before you disconnect the wires, so you can look up their position.
EURO standard K-type probes (in this example wires go into a control board. Instead of a roast control board you may have a temperature display on your machine. Temperature probe wires (and splicing wires) look different depending on the standard your machine uses.
- Take the splicing wire as provided with your Cropster Connector.
- Twirl the ends of the probe wires firmly together with the splicing wires by color.
This example shows EURO standard K-type probes and wires.
- Put the twirled wires back into the original position (the existing readout) of the temperature probe wires.
Cropster Connector installation
- Find the free end of the splicing wire.
- Connect the two wires to any port of the Cropster Connector (e.g. 0/G, 1/G, 2/G, 3/G) with the provided screw-driver, as shown in the table below.
- Connect the Cropster Connector via provided USB cable and proceed with the Roasting Intelligence Setup.
Eventually, the connection will look similar as in the graph below.
Do not attach or place the Cropster Connector in or onto any hot environment.
Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Installing the Roasting Intelligence (RI) software
- Download the Roasting Intelligence from https://download.cropster.com/
- The Cropster installer leads you through all the installation steps.
- Open the RI by double-clicking the Cropster icon on the desktop.
- Enter your username and password.
The user name is the email address your Cropster invitation has been sent to and use the password you've generated when accepting the invitation.
- Check the Remember credentials box if you want to be able to run the RI offline.
- Click the Login button.
Establishing a connection to the machine
- Go to Account > Preferences > Machine tab.
- Select the Roasting machine you would like to connect from the drop down menu.
- Select Temperature sensor (Ungrounded K/J/E/T-type thermocouples) from the drop-down for all measurements connected to the Cropster Connector.
- Select the Channel.
The channel refers to the port on the Cropster Connector. If the probe wires are connected to port 1/G, select 1 under channel.
- Select the Type of thermocouple.
Check how to identify the probe type.
- Click Save to confirm the changes. The RI requires a restart to apply the settings.
If the setup was successful you will be able to see temperature values on the right-hand side of the RI screen, after the restart.
Customize your RI user preferences.
If the RI indicates No source connected and/or you cannot see any measurements, please check the following:
- Is the Cropster Connector connected to the computer?
- Is the Phidgets driver installed?
- Mac only: has the Phidgets driver been enabled in the Mac's Security & Privacy settings?
If Roasting Intelligence shows negative temperature readings you will have to swap the wires on the board from “G” to “0” (or 1, 2, 3) and the other way round.
For further assistance, please create a support ticket by clicking the Support button in the left lower corner of the app. A Cropster support rep will get in touch with you.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Cropster Roasting Intelligence!
Check out our Getting started video and enjoy tracking your first roasts!
More manuals and videos can be found on help.cropster.com