The following article shows how to set your RI preferences.
Opening the preferences window
- Log in to the Roasting Intelligence (RI)
- Click Account > Preferences or simply use the shortcut CMD + P.
- The preferences window pops up. It consists of the following tabs:
Revise your weight, temperature, pressure and roast value units.
- Language: Choose your language from the drop-down. When "System default" is set, the RI takes the language settings from the account settings.
- Reset productivity hints: When clicking this initial usage hints will be shown one more time.
- Mark events by: Choose whether you want to mark events by Bean Temperature or Time.
- Modulation timer:
- Drying phase: From start until color change
- Maillard phase: From color change until first crack
- Development phase: From first crack until end of roast
- Development timer: First crack triggers the development time.
- None: Switches off the timer
- Modulation timer:
- Alarm: When checked, an alarm will go off, 60 seconds before first crack and end of roast (according to the reference curve set).
- Confirm end of roast: When checked, the RI requires a second click to confirm end of roast.
- Smart predictions:
- Bean curve prediction: When checked, the RI predicts the bean temperature and RoR two minutes into the future.
- First crack prediction: When checked, the RI will predict when the first crack will most likely happen.
- Flick prediction: When checked, the RI prompts a modal on the roasting chart to alert you about the flick's possibility during the roast.
- Rate of Rise (RoR) settings: There are three RoR settings that define the speed (responsiveness) and smoothing (Recommended, Sensitive, Noise smoothing).
Note: To learn how to enable the RoR for a measurement, visit the following manual: How to set the RoR within RI
- Gas replay:
- Enable replay feature: Check the box to enable the replay feature.
- Reset initial gas setting: When checked the gas settings will be reset to the initial settings of the profile.
- Auto-mark development events: When checked, Color change, 1st crack and 2nd crack will be marked automatically according to the reference roast
- Enable/ disable automatic start and end detection.
Learn how automatic start and end detection works.
- The x-axis shows the length of the roasts in minutes.
Define the range of the x-axis. Please avoid setting the x-axis too tight, as roasting past the x-axis might lead to problems.
- The Y-axis displays the temperature on the left side and the RoR on the right side.
Please keep in mind that the ideal range may vary depending on the set temperature unit and RoR interval.
- Show Gas curve as comments (On reference curve): When enabled, each gas change logged on your reference curve will be displayed as a comment to the main graph. If the amount of gas changes in your set reference has reached the threshold defined in your settings' input field (Show gas curve as comments when there are more...), the gas changes will not be displayed as comments.
The Show Gas curve as comments feature is only for roast machines able to track Gas automatically via the RI.
Your roast machine is able to track the "Gas" measurement automatically, when the measurement is set up from the RI's Machine preferences.
- Sidebar: By marking the checkbox for the comment type (Gas, Airflow, Color change, etc.), you are choosing to display the comments from the right-hand side of RI.
- Comments to display: Set the maximum amount of comments that will be displayed on the sidebar.
Note: Having too many comments enabled in the sidebar can lead to display issues depending on your screen size, and the amount of measurements you track on the sidebar from RI. If you have a small screen display, we recommend that you do not set more than 3 comments to display.
- Chart lines: By marking the checkbox for the comment type (Gas, Airflow, Color change, etc.), you are choosing to display the comments as chart lines on the main graph.
- Add comments: By marking the checkbox for the comment type, you are enabling a button to have the ability to mark the corresponding comment type during your roast via the comments window.
- Pre-fill toggle buttons: If you have Gas/Airflow comments made from your set reference, RI will pre-fill the Gas/Airflow value according to the next Gas/Airflow comment set from the reference.
Within the machine tab you can connect your roast machine with Cropster.
Furthermore you can set:
Graph settings (1)
- Color: Choose your preferred color for each measurement.
- Chart: When checked, there will be a curve shown in the chart for the respective measurement.
- Value: When checked, the current temperature of the measurement shows up at the right hand side of the chart.
If the temperature of Cropster and your roast machine slightly differ, enter the difference as an offset.
Note: A deviation of a few degrees is common, especially when the signal is spliced. If the deviation in temperature is bigger than 5° or if there are any uncertainties, feel free to get in touch with Cropster support.
Rate of Rise (RoR) (3)
Enable the RoR for each measurement by toggling the corresponding button green.
Hint: If you have not looked at our FAQ on Rate of Rise and have some questions about its purpose, we recommend you do! Here is the link.