This manual covers hardware connection, software installation and settings of Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence for J/K/T/E type thermocouples connected via Phidgets VINT Hub and TMP 1100.
If you haven't been invited to participate in the beta program for this integration, but you are interested in participating and testing the feature, please sign up here.
Beta means that the features are being tested with a select group of users to help us identify minor flaws under everyday conditions that we cannot reproduce internally. Therefore, it will be necessary that you share feedback with us and let us know whenever you come across some unexpected behavior.
- Setup options
- Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Please read this installation and configuration guide carefully, as any mishandling could lead to permanent device damage.
By connecting a Phidget device or temperature probe to any computer or by installing Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence (RI) software, the user agrees to release Cropster from any liability and assumes any possible risk related to the use of this measuring device and/or software. Cropster's terms of service apply.
Cropster cannot advise on the installation of the hardware, and in order to ensure safety when installing any hardware on your machine, Cropster recommends consulting with a technician who can help with the install.
- Digital thermocouples type K, J, T or E
Learn how to identify your thermocouple type.
- VINT Hub (HUB0001_0)
- HUB0001_0 replaced the HUB0000_0
Isolated Thermocouple Phidget (TMP1100_0)
Phidget cables (i.e. 3002_0, 3003_0, 3004_0 )
Note: there are various types of Phidgets cables available for the connection. Please consult the Phidgets website for the TMP1100, and click on Connection & Compatibility to learn more about whether the Phidgets cable you use is supported by the Phidgets device.
Depending on your setup and the type of probes, there are two connection options:
A direct connection applies when adding new probes independently from the roaster's readout. The newly added probe can be connected directly to the Cropster Connector.
Proceed with the hardware installation.
A dual connection applies when the roaster is equipped with a dual probe. A dual probe is a probe with two sensors inside the hull and two pairs of wires that allows a simultaneous connection to Cropster and the roaster's readout.
Proceed with the hardware installation.
If none of the above is applicable, the temperature signal can be spliced from the probe into Cropster, by the help of an extension wire.
Cropster explicitly does not recommend hardware connection via splicing. Your Cropster support person will gladly recommend you different connection options for your machine.
Turn off your roast machine during the splicing procedure.
- Follow the probe cable from the tip of the probe to its end where the two wires lead into the roaster's control board or the backside of the temperature display.
- Take out the temperature probe wires from where they are connected. Remember their position.
HINT: Take a picture before you disconnect the wires, so you can look up their position.
EURO standard K-type probes (in this example, wires go into a control board. Instead of a roast control board, you may have a temperature display on your machine. Temperature probe wires (and splicing wires) look different depending on the standard your machine uses.
- Take the splicing wire as provided with your Cropster Connector.
- Twirl the ends of the probe wires firmly together with the splicing wires by color.
This example shows EURO standard K-type probes and wires.
- Put the twirled wires back into the original position (the existing readout) of the temperature probe wires.
VINT Hub + TMP1100 installation
VINT Hub HUB0000 (now HUB0001_0) on the left, connected to a TMP1100 on the right, using a Phidgets cable to connect the two devices.
Disconnect the USB cable from the VINT Hub and turn off your roast machine during the hardware installation.
- Follow the probe cable from the tip of the probe to its end where the wires appear.
- In case of dual probes, take the free end that is not connected to the roaster.
- In case of splicing, take the free end of the splicing wire.
- Connect the probe to the free channel of the Isolated Thermocouple Phidget
(TMP1100) as shown in the table below.
- Repeat the installation steps for each sensor, then use the Phidgets cable to connect the TMP1100 to the VINT Hub.
- Connect the VINT Hub to the computer with the provided USB cable to your computer and proceed with the software setup.
Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
- Download the Roasting Intelligence from download-beta.cropster.com
- The Cropster installer leads you through all the installation steps.
- Download the Phidget driver.
- Open the RI by double-clicking the Cropster icon on the desktop.
- Enter your username and password.
The username is the email address your Cropster invitation has been sent to, and use the password you've generated when accepting the invitation.
- Check the Remember credentials box if you want to be able to run the RI offline.
- Click the Login button.
Establishing a connection to the machine
Go to Account > Preferences > Machine tab.
Select the Roast machine you would like to connect from the drop-down menu.
Select Phidgets Isolated Thermocouple Sensor (TMP1100) from the drop-down menu for the measurements connected to the VINT Hub's ports, via a TMP1100.
- Select the Hub port.
The Hub port refers to the port on the VINT Hub. If the TMP1100 is connected to VINT Hub's port 0, select 0 under Hub port.
- Select the Type of thermocouple.
Hint: Check how to identify the probe type.
- Wireless VINT Hub (i.e. HUB5000) ONLY:
- Click the gear () icon to open more settings.
- Enter the Hostname/IP address and port.
- Hostname/IP address:
The hostname or IP address of your Wireless VINT Hub
- Port: The port of the Phidget Server configured on your Wireless VINT Hub
- Hostname/IP address:
- Click OK, then Save to confirm the changes. The RI requires a restart to apply the settings.
If the setup was successful, you will be able to see temperature values on the right-hand side of the RI screen, after the restart.
Customize your RI user preferences.
If the RI indicates No source connected and/or you cannot see any measurements, please check the following:
- Is the TMP1100 connected to the VINT Hub?
- Is the VINT Hub connected to the computer?
- Is the Phidgets driver installed?
- Mac only: has the Phidgets driver been enabled in the Mac's Security & Privacy settings?
If Roasting Intelligence shows negative temperature readings you will have to swap the wires on the board from "-" port to “+” port and the other way round.
For further assistance, please create a support ticket by clicking the Support button in the left lower corner of the app. A Cropster support rep will get in touch with you.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Cropster Roasting Intelligence!
Check out our Getting started video and enjoy tracking your first roasts!
More manuals and videos can be found on help.cropster.com.