This manual covers hardware connection, software installation and settings of Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence for PT-100/PT-1000 type RTD sensors.
- Setup options
- Cropster Connector installation
- Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
- RTD sensors type PT-100 or PT-1000
- Cropster Connector (=Phidget 1046)
Note: The Cropster Connector from our online shop comes with resistors built in. If you purchase the Phidget 1046 from Phidgets.com directly, you will have to solder resistors to the sensor wire ends yourself to create a Wheatstone bridge.
You cannot splice the probe cables to use for parallel readouts (e.g. digital readout on roasting machine and input for Roasting Intelligence data bridge will not work).
Depending on your setup and the type of probes, there are two connection options:
A direct connection applies when adding new probes independently from the roaster's readout. The newly added probe can be connected directly to the Cropster Connector.
A dual connection applies when the roaster is equipped with a dual probe. A dual probe is a probe with two sensors inside the hull and two pairs of wires that allows a simultaneous connection to Cropster and the roaster's readout.
Cropster Connector installation
Disconnect the USB cable from the Cropster Connector and turn off your roast machine during the hardware installation.
- Follow the probe cable from the tip of the probe to its end where the wires appear.
In case of dual probes, take the free end that is not connected to the roaster.
- Connect two leads of the temperature wires to any Cropster Connector channel with the provided screwdriver.
On the Connector there are four channels for 4 temperature readouts: 0, 1, 2, 3. Each channel has four terminals. To connect the probe, always use the inner two terminals, marked with + and -.
- Confirm your PT-100/PT-1000 RTD probe has more than two wires, please use only one red and one white wire. Leave all other cables disconnected and isolate them.
- Connect the Cropster Connector via provided USB cable to your computer and proceed with the software setup.
Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Installing the Roasting Intelligence (RI) software
- Download the Roasting Intelligence from https://download.cropster.com/
- The Cropster installer leads you through all the installation steps.
- Download the Phidget driver.
- Open the RI by double-clicking the Cropster icon on the desktop.
- Enter your username and password.
The user name is the email address your Cropster invitation has been sent to and use the password you've generated when accepting the invitation.
- Check the Remember credentials box if you want to be able to run the RI offline.
- Click the Login button.
Establishing a connection to the machine
- Go to Account > Preferences > Machine tab.
- Select the Roasting machine you would like to connect from the drop down menu.
- Select Resistance temperature detectors (Pt100/Pt1000 RTDs) from the drop-down for all measurements connected to the Cropster Connector.
- Select the Channel.
The channel refers to the port on the Cropster Connector. If the probe wires are connected to port 1, select 1 under channel.
- Select the Type of RTD sensors.
- Click Save to confirm the changes. The RI requires a restart to apply the settings.
If the setup was successful you will be able to see temperature values on the right-hand side of the RI screen, after the restart.
Customize your RI user preferences.
If the RI indicates No source connected and/or you cannot see any measurements, please check the following:
- Is the Cropster Connector connected to the computer?
- Is the Phidgets driver installed?
- Mac only: has the Phidgets driver been enabled in the Mac's Security & Privacy settings?
If Roasting Intelligence shows negative temperature readings you will have to swap the wires on the board from “G” to “0” (or 1, 2, 3) and the other way round.
For further assistance, please create a support ticket by clicking the Support button in the left lower corner of the app. A Cropster support rep will get in touch with you.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Cropster Roasting Intelligence!
Check out our Getting started video and enjoy tracking your first roasts!
More manuals and videos can be found on help.cropster.com