This manual covers hardware connection, software installation and settings of Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence for PT-100/PT-1000 type RTD sensors connected via Phidgets VINT Hub and TMP 1200.
If you haven't been invited to participate in the beta program for this integration, but you are interested in participating and testing the feature, please sign up here.
Beta means that the features are being tested with a select group of users to help us identify minor flaws under everyday conditions that we cannot reproduce internally. Therefore, it will be necessary that you share feedback with us and let us know whenever you come across some unexpected behavior.
- Setup options
- Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
- RTD sensors type PT-100 or PT-1000
- VINT Hub (HUB 0000_0)
RTD Phidget (TMP 1200): supports 2-, 3-, 4-wire RTD mode
Note: The TMP 1200 only allows one RTD sensor per device. You need one TMP1200 per RTD sensor.
Phidget cables (i.e. 3002_0, 3003_0, 3004_0 )
Note: there are various types of Phidgets cables available for the connection. Please consult the Phidgets website for the TMP 1200, and click on Connection & Compatibility to learn more about whether the Phidgets cable you use is supported by the Phidgets device.
You cannot splice the probe cables to use for parallel readouts (e.g. digital readout on roasting machine and input for Roasting Intelligence data bridge will not work).
Depending on your setup and the type of probes, there are two connection options:
A direct connection applies when adding new probes independently from the roaster's readout. The newly added probe can be connected directly to the Cropster Connector.
A dual connection applies when the roaster is equipped with a dual probe. A dual probe is a probe with two sensors inside the hull and two pairs of wires that allows a simultaneous connection to Cropster and the roaster's readout.
VINT Hub + TMP1200 installation
Disconnect the USB cable from the VINT Hub and turn off your roast machine during the hardware installation.
- Follow the probe cable from the tip of the probe to its end where the wires appear.
In case of dual probes, take the free end that is not connected to the roaster.
- Confirm the number of wires available for your PT-100/PT-1000 RTD probe, and follow the next step accordingly:
This is the simplest wiring setup for an RTD, but also the least accurate because the resistance of the leads are not taken into account.
To connect a 2-wire RTD to the RTD Phidget, connect one wire to the RTD+ terminal, and the other to the RTD- terminal. Then connect the EXC+ terminal to the RTD+ terminal and the EXC- to the RTD- terminal with two short wires.
In a three-wire RTD, the extra wire is added to measure the resistance of one of the leads. This calculation assumes that both leads have the same resistance.
Your RTD should have two wires that share a color; connect one of these wires to the RTD- terminal and the other to the EXC- terminal. The differently colored wire connects to the RTD+ terminal. Then connect the EXC+ terminal to the RTD+ terminal with a short wire.
A four-wire RTD is normally used in precision measurement, when the assumption that both leads have the same resistance is not accurate enough. Unfortunately the RTD Phidget does not support this particular feature of four-wire RTDs. It does support the use of four-wire RTDs using the same assumption as three-wire mode.
To connect a four-wire RTD, simply connect one pair of same-colored wires to the RTD+ and EXC+ terminals, and the other pair to the RTD- and EXC- terminals.
- Connect the TMP 1200 to the VINT Hub using your Phidgets cable.
- Repeat the installation steps for each RTD sensor.
- Connect the VINT Hub to the computer with the provided USB cable to your computer and proceed with the software setup.
Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Installing the Roasting Intelligence (RI) software
- Download the Roasting Intelligence from download-beta.cropster.com
- The Cropster installer leads you through all the installation steps.
- Download the Phidget driver.
- Open the RI by double-clicking the Cropster icon on the desktop.
- Enter your username and password.
The user name is the email address your Cropster invitation has been sent to and use the password you've generated when accepting the invitation.
- Check the Remember credentials box if you want to be able to run the RI offline.
- Click the Login button.
Establishing a connection to the machine
Go to Account > Preferences > Machine tab.
Select the Roasting machine you would like to connect from the drop down menu.
Select RTD Phidget (Phidgets 22) from the drop-down for the measurement connected to the TMP 1200.
- Select the Channel.
The channel refers to the port on the VINT Hub. If the TMP 1200 is connected to hub port 1, select 1 under channel.
- Select the Type of RTD sensors.
Please check the manufacturer's probe specifications:
- PT100/PT1000 = Platinum sensor with 100 or 1000 ohm resistance
- 3850/3920 ppm/K = temperature coefficient
- Click on the gear () icon to open the Parameters settings.
- Click on the Wiring mode drop-down menu and select the wiring mode corresponding to the number of leads available for your RTD temperature sensor.
- Click Save to confirm the changes. The RI requires a restart to apply the settings.
If the setup was successful you will be able to see temperature values on the right-hand side of the RI screen, after the restart.
Customize your RI user preferences.
If the RI indicates No source connected and/or you cannot see any measurements, please check the following:
- Is the TMP 1200 connected to the VINT Hub?
- Is the VINT Hub connected to the computer?
- Is the Phidgets driver installed?
- Mac only: has the Phidgets driver been enabled in the Mac's Security & Privacy settings?
If the temperature deviates a few degrees:
- Try the different option for your type of RTD sensor under the Type dropdown.
For further assistance, please create a support ticket by clicking the Support button in the left lower corner of the app. A Cropster support rep will get in touch with you.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Cropster Roasting Intelligence!
Check out our Getting started video and enjoy tracking your first roasts!
More manuals and videos can be found on help.cropster.com.