This article covers the workflow for Cropster's gas control/replay feature.
Gas replay is currently available for Probat Probatone series 2 (with Probat Pilot), Giesen machines built after 2014 (open beta) and Besca automated machines on version > 4.3. of the Roasting Intelligence.
Giesen only: RI4s advanced features are not available via built in Siemens panels as they are not powerful enough. If you have one, you will need an external computer to access these new features.
- Using Gas control/Replay assist
Using the Gas control/Replay assist
If you have not yet set up the Gas control measurement within the Roasting Intelligence (RI), click on the respective roast machine to get to the setup manual:
Cropster's Gas control allows you to regulate the gas directly within the RI.
Once, you have set up a profile using gas control, the profile can also be replayed. This means Cropster automatically reproduces the gas settings applied during the creation of the profile based on bean temperature.
The Gas control bar
The Gas control bar is in the bottom-right corner, next to the measurements and can be disabled or enabled by clicking the Hide/Show button.
Giesen only: The Auto toggle button at the bottom needs to be switched off in order to control the gas via the RI. When switched on, it goes into the Giesen Auto mode. Please refer to Giesen's documentation for more information.
Roasting with gas control
Start your roast as you usually would in the RI. Now, instead of manually adjusting the gas supply at the roast control board, use the Gas control bar at the right-hand side of the RI.
- For small gas adjustments, use the + and - button.
- For big adjustments, use the bar by dragging and dropping the slider.
- Hint: Click on one of the gas percentage values shown next to the bar to instantly adjust the gas accordingly.
Hint: As soon as you have recorded one roast with the gas control bar, set this roast as the reference to switch into Replay assist.
Switching the profile after having started a roast will not update the gas changes from the previous profile's reference roast. As the gas changes are being calculated at the beginning of the roast, the gas curve is not adapted.
Replaying a roast
Never leave the roast machine unattended while replaying a roast. Cropster replays the roast and captures the details, but you are always responsible for monitoring the roast machine to ensure it is operating safely.
When using the Replay assist at the beginning of a roasting day or after a cool down period, special attention should be given in monitoring the automated gas changes during the first 1-3 batches, as the roasting machine may not have fully heated up and not roasting consistently. Additional adjustments may be required during these roasts.
- Prepare your roast by entering the Profile, Green Inventory and Start weight.
The RI is only able to replay roasts if the reference roast has been conducted using the Cropster gas control.
Note: For more information on how to set a reference, click here.
- A green Replay button appears at the bottom next to the Start button.
- Click the Replay button to start the roast using Replay assist.
In replay mode the gas changes will be applied automatically during the roast based on the bean temperature of the reference roast.
- Upcoming auto gas adjustments will be shown in the comments box at the right-hand side, marked with the Replay icon.
- You can always manually overwrite the gas settings when using Replay assist via:
- the roast machine's control board.
- the gas control bar in the RI.
- If you want to switch off Replay assist, use the toggle button at the top of the control bar.
- By default, five seconds after the roast has been finished, the gas will be automatically adjusted according to the reference's initial gas setting to prepare the roaster for the next batch.
Note: Click here if you want to revise the preferences.
Congratulations! You are now ready to use the gas control assistant!
Thanks for being a Cropster customer! If you have feedback, questions, or concerns, please feel free to send it to your representative or directly to support.cropster.com.
We design and make alterations to our software based on user feedback, so we look forward to seeing what you have to say!