In this article, you will learn how to configure an Amprobe TMD-56 digital thermometer, with Cropster's Roasting Intelligence.
This integration is currently in alpha stages at Cropster. If you haven’t been invited to participate in testing this integration, but you are interested, please sign up here.
Alpha means that, at Cropster, we have had minimal experience with the Amprobe TMD-56. Therefore, contact with the machine's manufacturer may be required to clarify, and commence the beta program for the Amprobe TMD-56. Once we have achieved a connection with your machine, using the Amprobe TMD-56, you may come across some flaws under everyday conditions. Hence, it will be necessary that you share feedback with us, and let us know whenever you come across any unexpected behavior.
The setup instructions, below, have yet to be confirmed by the roast machine's manufacturer. Cropster does not explicitly recommend the procedure outlined in this manual. Your Cropster support person will gladly recommend you different connection options for such machines.
- Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Note: We recommend reviewing the Amprobe's User Manual, before proceeding with the steps provided in this article.
Please read this installation and configuration guide carefully, as any mishandling could lead to permanent device damage.
By connecting a digital thermometer, databridge, or temperature probe, to any computer or by installing Cropster’s Roasting Intelligence (RI) software, the user agrees to release Cropster from any liability and assumes any possible risk related to the use of this measuring device and/or software. Cropster's terms of service apply.
- Amprobe TMD-56
- USB cable
- VCP driver (FTDI)
Note: On recent MacOS devices, the driver may be already pre-installed with your operating system.
- Bean temperature
- Secondary temperature*
* = the secondary temperature depends on your roast machine.
Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Installing the Roasting Intelligence (RI) software
- Download the Roasting Intelligence from https://download-beta.cropster.com/
- The Cropster installer leads you through all the installation steps.
- Open the RI by double-clicking the Cropster icon on the desktop.
- Enter your username and password.
The username is the email address your Cropster invitation has been sent to, and use the password you've generated when accepting the invitation.
- Check the Remember credentials box if you want to be able to run the RI offline.
- Click the Login button.
Establishing a connection to the machine
- Go to Account > Preferences > Machine tab.
- Select the Roast machine you would like to connect from the drop-down menu.
- Select Amprobe meter from the drop-down for all measurements.
- Select the Channel.
Note: The channel refers to the Amprobe's input/port, where the thermocouples are plugged in.
- Ambrobe's input T1 = Channel 0
- Ambrobe's input T2 = Channel 1
- Click on the gear () icon to open the more settings.
- Select the Serial port:
- Serial port:
Windows: Choose the COM option that refers to the connection to the roaster.
Mac: Choose the USB option that refers to the connection to the roaster.
- Serial port:
- Click Save to confirm the changes. The RI requires a restart to apply the settings.
If the setup was successful, you will be able to see temperature values on the right-hand side of the RI screen, after the restart.
If you have selected a serial port from the RI, and you receive Sources connected from the bottom-right corner of the roasting application, but you can't see live temperature readouts, you may not have selected the serial port referring to the roast machine's connection.
Learn how to customize your RI user preferences.
If the RI indicates No source connected and/or you cannot see any measurements, please check the following:
- Is the Amprobe meter connected to the computer?
- Is the correct serial port within RI selected?
For further assistance, please create a support ticket by clicking the Support button in the left lower corner of the app. A Cropster support rep will get in touch with you.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Cropster Roasting Intelligence!
Check out our Getting started video and enjoy tracking your first roasts!
More manuals and videos can be found on help.cropster.com.