This manual explains how to connect a Opp roast machine to the Cropster Roasting Intelligence
- Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
- USB cable
- Driver for the USB serial converter
Note: The driver may be already be pre-installed with your operating system.
- Bean temperature
- Exhaust temperature
Roasting Intelligence (RI) Setup
Installing the Roasting Intelligence (RI) software
- Download the Roasting Intelligence from https://download.cropster.com/
- The Cropster installer leads you through all the installation steps.
- Open the RI by double-clicking the Cropster icon on the desktop
- Enter your username and password.
The user name is the email address your Cropster invitation has been sent to and use the password you've generated when accepting the invitation.
- Check the Remember credentials box if you want to be able to run the RI offline.
- Click the Login button.
Establishing a connection to the machine
- Go to Account > Preferences > Machine tab.
- Select the Roasting machine you would like to connect from the drop down menu.
- Select Generic Modbus over serial port from the drop-down for all measurements.
- Click on the gear () icon to open the PID-settings.
- Copy the settings as shown in the screenshot below:
Windows: choose the COMx option that refers to the connection to the roaster.
Mac: choose the /dev/tty.usbserial option.
- Click Save to confirm the changes. The RI requires a restart to apply the settings.
If the setup was successful you will be able to see temperature values on the right-hand side of the RI screen, after the restart.
If you have selected a serial port from the RI, and you receive Sources connected from the bottom-right corner of the roasting application, but you can't see live temperature readouts, you may not have selected the serial port referring to the roast machine's connection.
Learn how to customize your RI user preferences.
If the RI indicates No source connected and/or you cannot see any measurements, please check the following:
- Is the roast machine connected to the computer?
- Have you downloaded the driver for the USB serial converter?
- Is the correct serial port within the RI selected?
- Are the settings copied correctly?
Driver for the USB serial converter
If you cannot select the correct serial port within the RI's Serial port field, your computer may not have the appropriate driver needed to recognize the serial converter's physical connection.
Please reach out to support.cropster.com, and attach the following information in relevance to the USB serial converter used:
Brand, and model
Picture of the serial converter
A Cropster representative will assess the information, and assist in providing the required driver for the USB serial converter used.
For further assistance, please create a support ticket by clicking the Support button in the left lower corner of the app. A Cropster support rep will get in touch with you.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Cropster Roasting Intelligence!
Check out our Getting started video and enjoy tracking your first roasts!
More manuals and videos can be found on help.cropster.com.